Fun Facts About Syrah Wine
– Called Syrah in most of the world, the name “Shiraz” became the typical name for this grape in Australia.
– DNA profiling confirmed that this grape originated along the Rhône in France.
– From the 1980s to the mid-2000s, Syrah increased in planted hectares from approximately 10,000 ha. to over 450,000 ha.
– Syrah makes some of the darkest red wine in the world.
– Syrah has extremely tough skin, prompting winemakers to to soak the grapes in gold water for days or even weeks.
(source: Wine Folly)